- Policy formulation and coordination on matters relating to education in the state.
- Pursue the eradication of illiteracy within the state.
- Ensure that all children of school-age have access to free, compulsory, and qualitative basic education.
- Ensure free and compulsory education for girls up to the end of Senior Secondary School.
- Develop human capital to support citizens’ personal development and meet the state’s skills and development needs.
- Exercise supervisory control over all public and private educational institutions in the state.
- Ensure all primary and secondary schools in the state have the required infrastructure and are equipped with the necessary learning tools.