The Kaduna State Government wishes to alert citizens that the third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic is already in our country, and the Delta variant of the virus is implicated. The Delta variant, which is associated with rising numbers of infection, hospitalisation, and deaths, is spreading in some parts of Africa and Nigeria.
This situation has put Kaduna, FCT, Kano, Oyo, Rivers and Plateau States on RED ALERT. This means residents should make concerted efforts at adhering strictly to Infection Prevention Protocols that have been laid down.
At this time, when Muslim faithfuls are in the peak of preparations for the Eid-el-Kabir celebration, it has become crucial that we do not relent in efforts targeting prevention and containment of the Delta Variant of the Corona Virus.
It is in this vein therefore, that the State Taskforce on Covid 19, is calling on Traditional and Religious leaders as well as all residents of the State to be more proactive in safeguarding their own health, that of their families and by extension, overall health of the public.
As Kaduna State puts in safeguards to prevent/contain the Delta strain, residents of Kaduna State are enjoined to prioritise strict adherence to all the protocols in places of religious and social gatherings.
It is important and critical for Residents to realise that the Delta variant is highly infective with a worsened outcome for morbidity and mortality (illness and death). The Kaduna State Government has a responsibility to put in place and enforce measures that will minimise the risk of importation of the variant in the State through strengthened surveillance at all points f entry, putting suspected cases in quarantine while also ensuring that the confirmed cases are put in isolation and managed till they no longer pose a threat to Public Health. We will not relent on this.
The State Taskforce on COVID-19 recommends that citizens NOTE the following and ensure compliance for a safe Eid-el Kabir:
- Eid prayer should be decentralised to neighbourhood Friday mosques and prayers to be conducted out-door(preferably).
- Durbar activities and large gatherings are suspended.
- All indoor gatherings should be limited (half capacity for Halls to ensure Physical distancing, ensuring Temperature checks, use of Face mask, provision for Hand-washing /use of Sanitisers
- The message of the FORWARD Campaign:
- F= Face-mask is our shield, stop the spread, wear your mask always
- O=Observe physical distancing
- R=Respiratory hygiene is key. Cough in tissues or bent elbows and not spread the Virus
- W= Wash your hands with soap and running water to maintain hand hygiene. If running water is not readily available, Hand sanitiser becomes an option.
- A= Avoid large gatherings, stay home and safe.
- R= Remain indoors, exercise to keep fit.
- D= Diet is essential; a healthy diet prevents disease and heals the body
At this critical time, it has become expedient that Religious and Traditional Leaders lead this campaign to keep our residents safe. Remember, Mass gatherings provide ample opportunity for transmission of this virus thus can pose great danger for the residents.
While wishing Muslim Faithfuls a very pleasant Eid el Kabir celebration, I pray that the message of the period, stays with us and within us, even beyond now.
Dr. Hadiza Sabuwa Balarabe
Chairman, Kaduna State Covid Taskforce`
19th July 2021