Text of Broadcast by Malam Nasir El-Rufai, Governor of Kaduna State, on the conduct of Rescheduled Elections in some Local Government Areas
My Dear People of Kaduna State,
- On 12th May 2018, the people of Kaduna State made history when they chose new leaders for our local government councils using electronic voting. Once again, I commend the people of our state for making a success of the elections.
- The Kaduna State Independent Election Commission (SIECOM) has since announced the results of the elections in a majority of the local government councils in the state.
- The Commission has also fixed Wednesday, 6th June 2018 to conduct rescheduled elections in some of the local government areas.
- To create the conducive environment for free and fair elections, the Kaduna State Government has decided to restrict movement in all the affected local government areas where SIECOM has scheduled elections for Wednesday, 6th June 2018.
- This restriction of movement will be effective from 11:59pm on Tuesday, 5th June 2018 to 6pm on Wednesday, 6th June 2018. It will be strictly and vigorously enforced by the security agencies. Only officials of SIECOM and the security agencies are permitted to move within the said hours. Any unauthorized person will be arrested and prosecuted.
- For the purpose of this election, security will be provided strictly and exclusively by the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, the Nigerian Police Force and the military. The security agencies are being deployed to guarantee free and fair elections, and to protect the right of the people to make their choice without intimidation.
- Officials of the FRSC and KASTELEA are authorized to carry out their traffic control functions during the election hours.
- However, the Kaduna State Vigilance Service is prohibited from participating in any role whatsoever in the election. Accordingly, Government has directed that the vigilance service shall stand down on 6th June 2018. And no other group should operate as a vigilante or irregular force as that will be in violation of the Kaduna State Vigilance Service Law. Persons in any such group will be arrested and prosecuted.
- The people of Kaduna State have conducted themselves in a commendably peaceful and orderly manner in the local government councils where the elections have already been concluded. The people adapted to the technology of electronic voting with remarkable ease. And they triumphed over the machinations of those that did not want free and fair elections at the polling unit level.
- During the 12th May 2018 elections, some politicians engaged thugs to lay siege on ward and local government collation centres, to intimidate and abduct election officials. This pattern of behavior will not be tolerated. Security agencies have been given clear directives to deal with anyone that tries to gain unlawful entry into or is found without authorization inside any ward or local government collation centre.
- I wish to appeal to voters in the affected local government areas to turn out to cast their votes, in a peaceful and orderly manner, for the party of their choice. And I firmly urge all politicians to allow the will of the people to prevail.
- Let us jointly conclude this exercise in enthroning democratic governance at the local level in a manner that respects the right of every individual to make a democratic choice.
God bless Kaduna State!
God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria!!
Monday, 4th June 2018