The Commission had undergone several changes. It was a full-fledged Ministry under the former civilian regime of 1979-1980. It was later changed to the Directorate of Budget and Planning within the Ministry of Finance (Mof) under successive military administrations. Subsequently, it was upgraded to the Bureau of Budget and Planning and later became the Kaduna State Planning and Budget Commission by Law No. 2017. The Commission comprises five departments, two stand-alone units and two parastatals.
- Prepare, monitor, and review the state’s annual and multi-year budgets and provide assistance to Local Governments to do the same.
- Development, coordination, monitoring and evaluation of all state development planning.
- Promotion and coordination of domestic and international donor support to the state.
- Collection, preservation and analysis of all residents registration in line with the Kaduna State Residents Registration Law 2018.
- Advice and support the Government in the formulation of economic policies.
- Ensure the collection, preservation and analysis of all statistical data in line with the Kaduna State Bureau of Statistical System Law, 2014
- Provide guidelines, advice, and support to Ministries, Departments, and Agencies regarding budgeting, planning, monitoring, review, and policy implementation.
- Provide State guidance on Local Government planning, budgeting and economic development.